Monday, November 16, 2009

Bedtime at our house...

Bed time has gotten a little crazy at our house lately. Reason being; it's cold out. All of you with kids need no further explanation. For those of you who don't, let me explain. When it's cold the kids are couped up...when the kids are couped up they turn into psycho monsters who
are extremely loud and extremely rambunctious. This behavior is only magnified by the mention of bedtime. Last night however, things were a little less psychotic and a little more entertaining.
Graycie was content in her room writing in her new diary. I have to give her credit because she has always been the best at bedtime. Most nights we don't even have to tell her to go to bed. All on her own she will announce, "I'm tired." and go to bed. And that's that. This could be because she (being the only girl) has her own room or it could be because she understands the importance of beauty sleep. Who know...who cares. Either way she does a great job.

Tyson, hmm what to say about Tyson? He's pretty much a hellion hopped up on Red Bull. He runs around wrestling and tackling any child he can catch. No matter what age, no matter what size. If he can catch you, he will tackle you. Having a three bedroom house with four children makes bedtime just a little challenging. Usually we rock Tyson to sleep, and wait for Easton and Trenton to fall asleep so we can lay Tyson in the boys room. It's the best solution we have come up with thus far. Last night Steve rocked him and he fell asleep quite quickly. The older boys were still awake so he just laid him on the couch until the boys were asleep.

Last night I laid in the the boys bed with them and started asking them some questions about their names. I was curious to see if Trenton actually knew all of his siblings middle names, he did. So then I started asking them about their cousins middle names. And the conversation went a little something like this;
Me-"What is Aubrey's middle name?"
Easton-"???, what does it start with?"
Me-"T"
Easton-"what does it end with?"
Me-"A"
Easton-"Terra? Tyra?"
Me-"No, NO"
Easton-"Tina? Tyna?"
Trenton-"Tiny Tim?"
Me-"haha, No, it's Teresa. What's Sophie's real name? It's short for something."
Easton-"Sophies. Sofas. Sofadis?"
Me-"haha, no, nope and are you kidding me?"
ENTER STEVE
Easton-"Dad, what's Sophie's real name?"
Steve-"Josephine."
Me-"Hmph...thanks for ruining the game."
EXIT STEVE
Me-"Okay, what is Raelyn's middle name?"
Easton-"what does it start and end with?"
Me-"A and E"
Easton-"Ane?"
Me-"No, it's Alise...what's Kaitlyn's middle name?"
Easton-"Alise?"
Me-"No...it starts with an R and ends with an N."
Easton-"Ran...Rain?!"
Me-"heehee, nope...it's Ryan, okay now you guys better go to bed."
Easton"Okay, but can we play this game tomorrow night?"
Me-Smiling, "sure."

It was nice that bedtime was actually entertaining. Great change of pace from the usual madness. I laughed pretty hard at some of the things the kids said. Moments like that make bedtime...well, almost bearable.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I think we should totally start calling her Sofadis! Bedtime is total hell around here too with multiple kids sharing bedrooms! I'm trying to re-vamp our routine so that I don't hate my children by the time bedtime is over.

LKP said...

i'm in complete awe. we only have the one, but bedtime's still a struggle. =( you are my hero with your name game!

Shayla said...

It's so not fair when you have kiddos sharing rooms at bedtime. We did it for years with our two girls and it was hell...EVERY NIGHT. Granted, we don't have hellion little boys, but we DO have a severely anxious eldest daughter which translates into bedtime hours and hours of nonstop ups and downs. With Nate and I both coming from families with 7 and 8 kids, we thought it was part of growing up for them to learn how to share a room. Now that we're in our bigger place and they both have their own rooms, I totally take back that statement. Some lessons are better learned AFTER they leave our house or not at all. :-) Either way, my sanity is worth more. Wishing you luck or more rooms in the future...